Jeffery R. Gilles is a principal and the founding partner of JRG Attorneys at Law.
Jeff specializes in the areas of agriculture, land use, and real estate. His in-depth legal and practical knowledge of agricultural, land use, and real estate matters, both in California and abroad, has led to his appointment as an advisor to companies assessing their political risks and business opportunities, a project/political advocate in land use matters, and an arbitrator or mediator in these legal areas.
Jeff started his legal career in 1979 as corporate counsel for Bruce Church, Incorporated, and affiliated companies, a grower, shipper, and processor of fresh vegetables. In 1985, Jeff founded his own law firm, which specialized in agricultural and real estate matters, including liability issues related thereto. Jeff leads JRG with his experience and sets the legacy for the other attorneys at the firm.
Jeff graduated from the University of Santa Clara in 1976 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree, where he honored in history. Afterward, he graduated from McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, in 1979, and received his Juris Doctor Degree that year. Jeff also received a Certificate of International Jurisprudence in Salzburg, Austria, during his tenure at McGeorge School of Law, and in 1981, attended the Monterey Institute of International Studies, receiving a language certificate in Spanish for training for service abroad.
Jeff was co-chair of the Agricultural Committee under the Business law section of the State Bar of California and remains active with various agricultural associations such as the Grower-Shipper Vegetable Association, Western Growers Association, Monterey Wine Country Associates, and Monterey and San Benito Farm Bureaus. He is also a member of the Monterey County Bar Association.
- JD, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1979
- BA, University of Santa Clara, 1976
- Agribusiness Law
- Agricultural Mediation
- Arbitration (Private Judge)
- Land Use Entitlement and Planning
- Political & Project Advocacy
- Product Liability (Food Safety)
- Real Estate Transactions
Initiatives & Accomplishments
- Language Certificate (Spanish), Monterey Institute of International studies
- Co-Chair of the Agricultural Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- 2004 Trustee of the Year, National Steinbeck Center
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 1979
- Northern, Eastern, Southern and Central District Courts of Arizona
Publications & Websites
- “Slotting Fees: Friend or Foe?” Coastal Grower Magazine, Fall, 1999
- “Shifting the Risk of Loss of Product in Cold Storage Warehouses” Coastal Grower Magazine, Fall 2001
- “Preventative Measures to Protect Against Liability Relating to Food-Borne Illness” Coastal Grower Magazine, Spring 2004
- “Legal Management of a Food Safety Crisis” Coastal Grower Magazine, Summer 2004
- “Agricultural Water Discharge: Over-Regulation?” Coastal Grower Magazine, Summer 2005