Stephan A. Barber is a Partner and the Director of the Litigation Department at JRG Attorneys at Law. He specializes in the areas of business and contracts, civil litigation, employment and labor law, property law, products liability and warranty, insurance law, toxic torts litigation, construction contract and defect, commercial contracts/Uniform Commercial Code, indemnification contracts, alarm and security systems, and fire protection systems.
In 1972, Stephan earned his bachelor’s degree in Economics at the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB). He obtained his Juris Doctor degree in 1976 from University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law and was admitted to the California Bar in the same year.
During Stephan’s 45+ years as a civil trial attorney, he has tried approximately 200 jury, bench, and arbitration cases in 16 California Counties and Federal District Courts sitting in California and participated in hundreds of mandatory settlement conferences and mediations. His trials have involved claims against product manufacturers and installers, contract and bad faith claims against insurance companies, property owners and lessees, and property and commercial contracts. He has authored hundreds of insurance coverage opinions. For the last 28 consecutive years, Stephan has earned an “AV” rating, which is the highest possible rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell, the gold standard for evaluating and rating lawyers in the United States. Steve prides himself in preparation and self-education and his motto is “We will not be outlawyered by the other side.” In In the fourth paragraph for the list of clients add CannaCruz, Inc., CBN Management, LLC, La Serena Properties, numerous business and property owners.
Some of Stephan’s past and present clients include the County of Santa Clara, County of San Benito, Honeywell International Inc., Minimax USA, Cosco Fire Protection, Star Industries, Inc., INX International Ink Co., Sun Chemical Corporation, Watts Water Technologies, Inc., Tyco International, Ltd., Tyco Fire and Building Products, SimplexGrinnell, LLC, Grinnell Fire Protection, Santa Clara Swim Club, Los Angeles World Airports, and several insurance companies. He also represents many corporations and businesses in various industries such as manufacturing, agriculture, electronics, security, fire protection, hotels/resorts and property, construction, retail, property and casualty, and plumbing products.
Since 1980, Stephan has acted as an arbitrator and been a speaker at numerous legal seminars. In 1984, he joined Ropers, Majeski, Kohn & Bentley (RMKB) after being a partner in a San Jose law firm. Before joining JRG Attorneys at Law, Stephan was a senior partner in RMKB’s San Jose office.
Due to his experience and reputation in the legal community as an accomplished litigator, Stephan has obtained immense success by helping his clients obtain favorable settlements without incurring the risk and expense of court litigation or arbitration. He is married and with two children, as well as two grandchildren.
- B.A. (Economics), University of California at Santa Barbara, CA, 1972
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, CA, 1976
- Alarm and security systems
- Business litigation
- Civil litigation
- Construction contract and defect
- Employment and labor law
- Indemnification contracts
- Insurance Coverage
- Fire protection systems
- Real and personal property
- Products liability and warranty
- Public entity
- Toxic torts/cancer litigation
- Defense of Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and California Unruh Act Claims
- Defense of Class Action Litigation
- Defense of Transmission of Infectious Diseases Claims
- Trusts and Wills Disputes and Litigation
Initiatives & Accomplishments
- American Jurisprudence Award Winner for real property in 1974
- Articles Editor of the Pacific Law Journal in 1975-1976
- “AV” Rating from Martindale-Hubbell from 1996-present
- Guest Speaker at numerous seminars and presentations
- AV Preeminent Attorney (2013 – 2020)
- AV Preeminent Icon (2014, 2015)
- Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys – Listed Lawyer (2014 – 2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Law Firms, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation, 2015
- AV 20th Anniversary in 2014
- America’s Most Honored Professionals – Top 1% (2016 - 2020)
- AV Preeminent Attorney – Judicial Edition (2017 – 2020)
- PRR AV Preeminent 2018 Lawyers.com
- AV 25th Anniversary in 2019
- AV Preeminent Lawyers.com (2019 , 2020)
Bar & Court Admissions
- California, 1976
- All Federal District Courts of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Monterey County Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- “The California Public Records Act: The Public’s Right to Access to Government Information” Pacific Law Journal, 1976
- “How to Discuss Terms and Conditions Prior to Commercial Transactions” Smart Business, 2012