Monterey County Product Liability Lawyer
Injured by a Defective or Dangerous Product? Call JRG.
We all use products of all kinds, every day, without thought that we could suffer injury due to their defective manufacture, design, or maintenance. If you have been injured by a product and are not sure if responsibility lies with the manufacturer, retailer, supplier, or the persons responsible for its maintenance or repair, a Monterey County product liability attorney can perform an investigation of the circumstances and the product itself to determine if it was defective.
Representing clients across the Central Coast of California, JRG Attorneys at Law handles product liability cases involving:
- Children’s toys - Whether the toy posed a choking hazard, or was improperly manufactured so that it caused unintended injuries, it's important to ensure that children's toys on the market are safe.
- Medical devices - This can include items such as hip or knee implants, pacemakers, prosthetic devices, and more. If you believe your medical device is defective and has led to your injuries, contact us immediately.
- Automobiles and their parts - Defective parts in cars can include anything from faulty breaking systems to improperly designed seat belts (as the example below discusses).
- Farming and agricultural equipment - Farming requires the use of heavy machinery and often poses risks if the machinery is not properly manufactured or designed. Serious injuries can result from poorly manufactured tractors, balers, plows, harvesters and more.
- Home appliances - Items such as power tools, lawnmowers, cleaning products and kitchen appliances can all pose certain risks if the user is not made aware of the dangers they present. Failure to properly warn a consumer of hazards can result in serious injuries.
- Construction equipment - Defective construction equipment can lead to crush injuries, electrocution, falls, and even death in extreme cases.
- Safety equipment - Things like helmets, goggles, scaffolds and other safety equipment are designed to protect and save lives, but when these products are defective, they can provide a false sense of security that ultimately leads to the users' harm.
Determining Fault in a Product Liability Case
At times, it can be difficult to determine whether it was the product, an individual, or your own carelessness that was responsible for your injuries. However, the below instances are grounds for a product liability lawsuit:
- The product was not properly designed, manufactured or installed
- The product was not properly maintained
- There were not sufficient warnings of the risk involved with using the product
If you believe that your injury would not have occurred or would not have been as severe if the above quality issues did not exist, then it's possible that liability may be imposed on the manufacturer or other at-fault party associated with the product’s defect.
An Example of Product Liability
A good example can be seen in a case recently tried in Monterey County by our lead product liability attorney, Robert (Bob) Rosenthal. In 2014, he tried a case that appeared at the outset to be a drunk driving case with the client’s catastrophic injuries being the result of the driver’s intoxication and the injured client’s own poor judgement. While the driver of the car was admittedly intoxicated and the passenger entered the vehicle knowing this fact, it was proven in trial that, had the car’s manufacturer installed a shoulder harness as opposed to a lap belt, the injury would have been averted.
While it was the drunk driver who caused the accident, it was the car’s manufacturer who contributed to the severity of the injury. It designed a vehicle without a shoulder harness, knowing the risks such a design presented. No warning of these risks was provided to operators or passengers in the car. The jury awarded our client $12.6 million in damages.
Put an Experienced Product Liability Attorney on the Case
Whether your injury involved a defect in the construction of building, or a defective medical device, toy, child safety device, or automobile safety device, it is important to retain the right product liability lawyer. Bob Rosenthal has been practicing in California since 1975. His considerable trial experience can make all the difference in the face of the considerable resources a manufacturer or insurance company is likely to apply to counter your claim.